Sunday, September 28, 2008

Apple Pickin'

This past Saturday, we had our first "taste" (no pun intended) of fall, when we went apple picking! We went to a place called Gizdich Ranch, which was about a 45 min drive, but a gorgeous one, as we drove over a mountain with beautiful trees and beautiful views. So far, it hasn't felt like fall until dusk (then it gets really cool) but we can't complain too much as every day has been sunny and warm with no humidity! So boring... :)

Daddy and his little girl, about to go pick apples!


The rows of apple trees

the rows from the other side - what a view!

here we go!

"I got my first apple!"

Mommy and Nolan, searching for some good ones

we found one!
the apples are starting to fill the bucket...

pretty apple tree


hangin' on daddy
Nolan found the 2 biggest apples!

on our way out, we went into the strawberry fields, where Nolan tried some out (shhhh....)
we went back to the ranch, and there we could watch them press the apples into fresh apple cider. Definitely the best apple cider I've ever had!


They are known for their pies, so we shared 2 pieces (apple-raspberry and dutch apple) along with an apple cider slushy. YUMMMMMMM.......

we hung out in the picnic area, where there was a tractor and hay bales for the kids to play on as well as a sandbox.
Mia, on one of the pretty wood lawn chairs




A definite framer!

Now I have to go find a really good recipe for apple pie! And some other foods with apples in it... we have a lot of apples! Love this time of year... by far my favorite (although I miss those changing leaves up north!)

And now I'm going to go warm up a mug of apple cider and sit with my handsome husband the rest of the evening...

Happy Fall everyone!

5 comments:

Tamara said...

i have a good recipe for apple crisp (LOVE the topping, especially with double the topping!) from my sister-in-law... it's one of my favorites, especially when it's warm and is topped with vanilla bean ice cream! let me know if you're interested! love the photos, by the way!

julie said...

OK - you win. Apple picking in Cali is MUCH more beautiful than doing it in PA! ;) Are you trying to make us jealous and want to come out there even MORE?? because it's working ;) What a beautiful BEAUTIFUL day and family! Miss you guys so much!

ps - Nolan is TOTALLY looking like your Dad in those sunglasses for some reason!

Megan said...

Fun stuff! We're actually going apple picking today so it was fun to show the girls your pictures. I've been searching for Apple Pie recipes as well and I think I found one that I'm going to try. Let me know what you end up making. I think we'll also make applesauce as well.
Also, last time I was at Willow Creek we all got apple cider slushes and wow, they are yummy!

Jen said...

It looks like you guys had a really fun day. I love anything with apples. We are going to an apple festival this weekend in my home town. I can't wait. If we end up in CA you will have to show us all these great places!

Anonymous said...

looks like a nice day Nay. How is everyone adjusting to the new digs? Hope you guys are well.

Jon